Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Wife Points Wednesday: My Husband's Babies

No... my husband doesn't have children, but he does have babies. At least that's what we call his little pepper seedlings.

As I've mentioned before, my brother-in-law produces and sells hot sauces and bbq sauces. He started first growing peppers at home, varieties of chilies he couldn't get in the store. That resulted in his own company and now his ghost pepper sauce is award winning.  There is apparently no such thing as too hot for these guys!

(Side note, his ghost pepper sauce does have ghost peppers in it- the hottest pepper known to man- but it's sooo good, even I can eat it! Granted, in small quantities, but that's all you need anyway. It's not a traditional hot sauce. It's chunkier and very, very flavorful! I can't stand hot sauces that are so hot they have no flavor. Or rather, the producer was more concerned with making it hot than giving it a good flavor. This hot sauce is a blend of hot and sweet peppers and I promise you won't be disappointed if you give it a try! It's the one hot sauce in the fridge that both my husband and I like.)

My husband is all fired up about growing peppers too (har, har... pun intended), but just for our personal use. He thinks there isn't a good cayenne pepper spice blend out on the market so he's determined to make his own.

He attempted growing peppers last year, but started too late in the season and they didn't last. Thanks to his brother's tutorial on pepper growing, this years seedlings are taking off! My husband transferred them into pots, now that the temperature outside is consistent at night, and he needed a way to mark which plants were which type of pepper. I caught him outside thinking intently about this and came up with an awesome solution for him!




I bought these stickers from The Vinyl Chalkboard for a project for my husband's 30th birthday party this past spring and had a few leftover. I used a paint marker instead of chalk since they will be outside in the elements, though they won't be reusable now.

I'm not really all that interested in growing peppers, especially since I have a reputation for not being able to keep anything alive. (I just buried love fern #4 outside... it was a slow, miserable death.) But my husband has that sort of childlike excitement about them that we adults unfortunately don't get too often anymore and I love that! This was just one little way of encouraging and supporting my husband in a hobby that he enjoys. He does, after all, read my blog... which is a hobby I enjoy.

Happy Wife Points Wednesday! I hope you can find a little way to show support for your partners interests this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment