Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Unclogging the Drain

It's about time for my bi-annual drain unclogging. I've tried all the tricks in the book, but I just can't seem to keep my hair out of the shower drain. My standard go-to in this situation is Draino, but in attempt to implement a more frugal, green-friendly attitude into our household I googled "how to unclog a shower drain without using harsh chemicals" and got DoItYourself.com's article How to Unclog a Shower Drain without Using Harsh Chemicals. Imagine that!

Here were the steps they recommended:

Step 1: Mix Baking Soda and Water

In a small bucket, mix the baking soda and water together. You should have one cup of baking soda for three cups of hot water. (1 box baking soda, 6 cups hot water)

Step 2: Pour Down Shower Drain

Once this mixture is ready, then pour it down the shower drain. Let it set for about 15 minutes. You may see a back up in the drain, but it should begin to go down within a short period of time.

Step 3: Mix Vinegar and Water; Pour

Use the same mixing quantities and combine the white vinegar and water. After 15 minutes have elapsed, pour this down the shower drain also.

Step 4: Flush With Hot Water

Immediately pour down some hot water down the shower drain. You should notice that the water drains much faster now. If the clog is not entirely removed, repeat this process again.


So, I tried that... and had not so much luck. I may have possibly forgotten to mix the vinegar into the water on step 3 and may have potentially not discovered I did that for about an hour, when the smell of vinegar sitting in a measuring cup on the kitchen counter wafted into the living room. I should probably give it another shot but I'm now out of baking soda and vinegar. I'll head to the store tonight but thought I'd see if any of my readers have a better suggestion for me.

Any help??

No comments:

Post a Comment