Tuesday, May 10, 2011

My name is Tracy, but you can call me Martha: My New Napkin Bowl

I have a Google Doc entitled "Blog Ideas." It's my scrapbook of projects I'd like to try, crafts I want to make, gifts I want to sew, recipes I want to try, etc. Perhaps if there were about 28 hours in a day I might be able to get around to all my inspiration links and photos in, oh... say... about 9 or 10 years.

When I came across this link from Traci at Beneath My Heart, I knew I had to make my own fruit bowl. How wonderfully shabby chic, country-home is this?

Wooden Fruit Bowl from Beneath My Heart

I happen to already have a fruit bowl I love, but I figured it was too cute to pass up and after all, wooden bowl- shouldn't be too hard to find, spray paint- just a couple bucks, one Sunday afternoon- I've got that... piece of cake! If only I knew that I have 0 spray painting skills!

I found almost an identical wooden fruit stand (the tag said "compote") for $4.50 at a local flea markety-antique store. (I felt that I overpaid seeing as how Traci paid just $3.50 for hers.)


I followed Traci's tip and rubbed all the edges with a candlestick. It worked so well! My painting skills on the other hand... not so much. Here is photo documentation of why you should always allow enough time for two.... or three coats:


Not pretty! Apparently the key to spray painting is a series of short, sweeping blasts of paint about 6-8" away from the surface. Not a constant hose of paint that gets closer... and closer... and closer to the surface. Fortunately for me an extra coat was all it took. Here is the final product, which now holds my napkins, after sanding the edges a bit to add a rustic flair:


Cute, right??

Get Your Craft On! Tuesday @ Today's Creative Blog

11 comments:

  1. Very cute! You did a great job...it's amazing how a bit of paint can change the look of something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I'm your second follower! Found you from Shabby Chic Cottage's Transformation Thursday - great job on the fruit bowl. I have one that isn't done yet, but paint makes all the difference!

    Jill @ JunkyVagabond

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really cute! I found one of these at Goodwill a year or so ago and spray painted mine Heirloom White. It now holds some faux pomegranates on my kitchen table. It's amazing how much better it looks in a color other than the wood stain. I know what you mean about spray paint. I always have to slow myself down. I think when I get eager to get it done, I wind up trying to rush it, and that affects how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is lovely. Love the white, it looks much better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO very chic and pretty! Great transformation!

    Found you thru Creating a House of Grace and so happy to find your pretty blog! I'm having a blog party and giveaway soon so hop on over to visit me when you get a chance!

    Big TX Hugs,
    Stephanie
    Angelic Accents

    ReplyDelete
  6. cute cute! i have one almost identical to yours that i found recently. i painted mine a pale grey/blue and i love it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is very pretty! You did very well. I am super impatient when it comes to spray painting. Half of the time, I don't prime because I want it done NOW and then I have to go back and prime it later.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aggieam01- you mean i'm suppose to prime things before i paint them?? lol i was trying to use paint i already had so i skipped the priming step and i think it turned out just fine, but i'm going to giving priming a try on my next project to compare the differences. thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is great! I think my mom has one of these kicking around her house somewhere. I'll have to dig it out and give it a new life! I am your newest follower. Come over to Greetings From the Asylum and follow me too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love pedestal cake stands but a square one? LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow looks so good!!! I love what paint can do for something. Great job!

    ReplyDelete