Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Gettin' My Cook On: Chicken Corn Chili

Okay, Okay... I know this isn't a very summery recipe but I can explain. My parents are house hunting and my husband and I get to go with them and their Realtor tonight after work to view a few prospects. We have a very short window of time for dinner so I offered to cook for everyone. I needed something quick, easy and would feed all 4 of us (with leftovers preferably). This sounds like a job for the Slow Cooker! <doo do do dooo> (Truth be told, I bought all the ingredients to make this recipe when it was cold out so I had everything on hand.)

This is probably a mixture of all Chicken Chili recipes out there. I like it because it's the first real meal I made that didn't start with a recipe and turned out awesome! I picked up a packet of McCormick's White Chicken Chili one day at the store and read the ingredients but it seemed a little plain. It didn't call for much so I decided to add in a few more ingredients that I like. Here's what I came up with:



1  McCormick's White Chicken Chili packet
1 1/2 lb Chicken Breast
1 can Great Northern beans (undrained)
1 can black beans (drained)
1 can whole corn (undrained)
1 can diced tomatoes with zesty mild green chilies (undrained)
1 can diced tomatoes with green onions & peppers (undrained)
1 tsp minced garlic
1 cup water

All cans are 14.5 ounces.

As you can tell from the photo above, I don't know the difference between Great Northern beans and butter beans. I remember wavering in the grocery aisle but can't remember why this time I opted for the butter beans. (FYI- Beans in can are larger than they appear on the label!) I guess we'll find out at 5 o'clock if the bean variety makes a difference. I also apparently decided I needed A LOT of butter beans. I think the ratio of meat to beans to other ingredients is entirely up to you- I doubt it will make much of a difference.

So, I put everything into the slow cooker, except the chicken, last night. I put the chicken in this morning before work. I'm hoping that the chicken will fall apart perfectly like pulled pork does... guess I'll know soon enough. If I have to I can take the chicken breast out and cube it... but I'd really rather not!


I like to mix a little shredded cheese in the bowl and top with some sour cream.

I promise to report back if it's awful and totally uneatable but it was very, very good the first time I made it. Wish me chili luck!

2 comments:

  1. I'll be by around 6 for a bowl! Looks awesome to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks amazing! I do love a good soup recipe, thanks for sharing!

    And thanks for stopping by my blog & leaving a sweet comment!

    ReplyDelete