Monday, May 16, 2011

Modern Translation: The Awesome Wife’s Guide (Rule #4)

(This is the 5th post of this series. To read the entire series, click on the label to the left that reads "Modern Translation Series.")
 

* Clear away the clutter. Make one last trip through the main part of the house just before your husband arrives. 

I'm beginning to think these rules were written by a man! Seriously, what woman needs to be told to do this. Isn't this what we spend 75% of our day doing? What we need is a reminder to take 15 minutes out of our day FOR OURSELVES!

To prove this point, let me tell you what all I did yesterday:
  • unloaded the dishwasher
  • hand washed a sink & countertop full of dishes 
  • read all emails
  • checked all accounts online
  • paid bills 
  • balanced checkbook
  • completed two paid online surveys
  • worked out on the elliptical for 30 minutes
  • Washed 2 loads of laundry
  • clipped and filled coupons
  • prepared this week's grocery shopping list
(I interrupt this broadcast to point out that at this point in my day my husband woke-up. Yep, I accomplished all this before he even got out of bed. Take that Man-Who-Wrote-The-1950s-Housewife-Rules!) 
  • went to CVS
  • went to Staples
  • went to grocery store
  • washed two more loads of laundry 
  • folded and put all laundry away
  • washed a second sink full of dishes
  • did a craft project
  • wrote four five six blog posts
  • made dinner
  • cleaned bathroom
  • and finally, cleaned the living room
I'm feeling a little bit like Super Woman today. Did I mention this was all on a Sunday?? Though, granted, I did all this to make the to-do list for the rest of the week a little lighter. It's truly, truly never ending, especially the laundry part. I think there might be something to this nudist colony business!   

Dear 1950's Housewife, 

I am equally as annoyed by the man who wrote your rules as you are! I'm making an addendum to the "Good Wife Rules." It shall read:
Eliminate Rule #4 and take 15 minutes to sit on the couch and read a magazine...(Okay! Okay!) before your husband arrives. 

Have a pleasant day, 

The 2010s Housewife

2 comments:

  1. I actually like this rule too. Don't shoot me yet!!!!!
    Yes Brian likes to walk into a house that isn't completely strewn with toddler toys. Yes he likes to walk into our bedroom and find the bed made and room straight etc etc ect
    But I also like it.
    Having the toys picked up (well mostly can't have them all away while the boys are still up) helps with the picking up later on in the day.
    I like to go to bed in a made up bed so having that done (much earlier in the day mind you).
    Having the dishes mostly cleared helps with later on too.
    I hate coming home to a mess myself so I'm sure Brian does too

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say I like this rule too. I don't have children, but I do like a clean and clear home with everything in its place. I would hate to think I had stuff lying around that would get in the way or bother my partner, yes I am too the one with far too much stuff.

    ReplyDelete