Monday, August 8, 2011

Modern Translation: The Awesome Wife's Guide (Rule #15)

(This is the 16th post of this series. Click here to read the entire series.) 

 * Make him comfortable. Have him lean back in a comfortable chair or have him lie down in the bedroom. Have a cool or warm drink ready for him. 
  
 
I have a $160 electric bill that proves I follow this rule.

And a dual tap kegerator taking up prime real estate in our tiny little kitchen.

And 1/3 of our bedrooms dedicated to the "man bunker."

My husband is probably a good 10-15 degrees warmer than everyone else in the world, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, no matter where we are. As you can assume, this is problematic in the summer. A problem compounded by the fact that we do not have central air conditioning. 

Our electric bill is plagued 3-4 months of the year by a window air conditioner in our bedroom and a very... very... very old wall unit in our living room. (The latter of which is blasting out a rude musty smell as we speak.) To eleviate the pain, we try to turn them on as infrequently as possible. 

Probably 4 out of 5 of the times we turn the air on, I would be fine leaving them off. Last year we even managed to turn them on only 4 times all summer. The Hubs, however, gets extremely uncomfortable whenever the temps rise above 85. So uncomfortable, in fact, that this year I've had the air running at least 60% of the time. 

Comfortable Husband- check!

I have probably mentioned before how much I love living in Central PA. The top two reasons why? 

1) Everything is easier here. There are back roads everywhere to avoid traffic. I have yet to wait in line at the bank. The cost of living is decently affordable. 

2) Craft beer. It's everywhere here. And it's GOOD! I couldn't tell you the last time I drank a Miller Lite. It has to have been at least 3 years. Microbreweries are very popular in Pennsylvania and we happen to be friends with the owners/brewers of one of the best- Bavarian Barbarian Brewing Company. 

The Hubs and I bonded over craft beer. It was a passion of his and something he could teach me. I enjoyed learned. Beer had become a part of our lives. As are recycling centers. After a couple of weeks of making special trips early Saturday morning to drop off a large bin of brown glass bottles, I decided it was time to give into the Hubs request for a kegerator. So, my mother and I went in together & bought him one 2 years ago for his birthday. 

Seriously, his wife & his mother-in-law bought him a kegerator. My husband should be the happiest man in all the lands!

Cool drink in hand- check!


And the bunker thing: I think that's sort of essential for men. My dad has a bunker too. Men need space. They need a room that doesn't have to always be clean (because it's so easy to just close the door when company comes over.) A room where all the gaming systems in the world can be piled up in the corner (and not in my living room). A room where dirty socks can lie on the floor and pint glasses can sit for days. 

Let's be honest- the rest of the house is ours!

Dear 1950's Housewife, 

I am going to agree with you 100% today. My husband spends most of his day uncomfortable. He has to wear uncomfortable clothes & shoes to work, sit in an office that has fluorescent lights (which give him migraines), and deal with some people who don't have a clue what they are talking about or doing all day long. If there is something I can do to make him comfortable at home, then I should do it. Where else are you suppose to feel the most comfortable, if not home?

Have a pleasant day, 

The 2010's Housewife

4 comments:

  1. Agree, agree, agree!! I feel the same way about my husband.. he comes home and checks his email, eats dinner and naps for about a 1/2 hour... I let him do this all interrupted because he's a welder and needs to be comfortable when he's home.. love this post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "They need a room that doesn't have to always be clean" I have found this difficult before, and I accept your point. I love a clean house, and having a place that has more crumbs or corners where there are wrappers etc, can drive me nuts. But I have accepted my partner's corner where his desk is and its area is his sanctuary, forbidden to enter and clean. Though, I can't always help myself, though I do try, sometimes its just best I don't look at all...itchy cleaning hands at the ready. We forget sometimes our cleaning craze can make them more uncomfortable, nice to hear others do the same thing too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "They need a room that doesn't have to always be clean" I have found this difficult before I accept your point. I love a clean house, and having a place that has more crumbs or corners where there are wrappers etc, can drive me nuts. But I have accepted my partner's corner where his desk is and its area is his sanctuary, forbidden to enter and clean. Though, I can't always help myself, though I do try, sometimes its just best I don't look at all...itchy cleaning hands at the ready. We forget sometimes our cleaning craze can make them more uncomfortable, nice to hear others do the same thing too.

    ReplyDelete