Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Displaying My Collection

I have been collecting flattened pennies for as long as I can remember. When my brother and I were little, my dad would take us down to the train tracks to lay pennies out. We would go back later and collect the smooth, shiny, flat pennies. I loved it.

My husband had fond memories from childhood that involved trains too. His family had a number of electric train set that they would play with and set up around the Christmas tree each year. For our wedding save the date cards we took a photo of one of this train sets and stuck flattened pennies with our names & wedding date on them. I loved those too. 

I have a couple dozen pennies collected and I stored them in special collector books made for flattened pennies. Once or twice a year I would remember about my little collection and pull them out to enjoy. Pretty much every other day they were out of sight, out of mind.


I really wanted to find a way to display the collection, but in a fun way. My first idea was to glue them around the outside of a wide wooden frame so I bought a frame. Once I got it home I realized that it would probably take a lifetime to fill up the frame. It's not everyday you come across a flattened penny machine.

My plan B was to glue the pennies to the glass inside the frame and add pretty scrapbook paper for the background. I ended up with one full frame and one frame about half full. I went ahead and hung the partially empty frame, along with his mate, in our guest room/my craft room. I figure I can add to it as I travel to new destinations and collect new pennies.










Has anyone else out there had trouble finding a way to display an interesting collection?

Linking Up @ Today's Creative Blog & The Thrifty Home & Savvy Southern Style

28 comments:

  1. We have a couple of books of flattened pennies we made at Disney. When we visited zoos and other touristy places, our kids would use the penny machine, then I would scrapbook them with our trip photos. However, two books of pennies is a little heavy for a scrapbook. I love your collection display. I also considered storing ours in a small mason jar as a conversation piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I collect them as well but just have them in a notebook. My friend adds hers to her scrapbook pages with the pictures from each trip. I love this idea though. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so cool!!:) thanks for sharing:)
    http://jaysonandashley.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. how great! i have a few of these, but i love the whole collection look you've made here. now i will think twice before skipping this fun memento from trips!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's awesome. :) I've always wondered what to do with the flattened pennies we've collected. That's a great idea. Would love to have you link this up to my {wow me} wednesday link party going on right now over on my blog.. if you haven‘t already. Hope to see you there. {I’m a new follower.} :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We collect pennies too. Always have to make sure we have 51 cents. I'd love for you to link this to my first ever linky party. http://trophyw.blogspot.com/2011/08/linky-party-1.html -Tara

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been collecting these since I was a kid. What a great way to show them off.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! I've collected pressed pennies for the last few years. I have 2 of the little passport books but I think this is a much better idea. Since I have a lot of copper color in my decor I will have to pull my pennies out and get to enjoy them. Thanks again for a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have two little books full of pressed pennies. I get so excited when I find a machine!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1. Awesome idea!!
    2. I use mine on my scrapbook pages.
    3. I recently saw a blog post (cakewrecks' other blog) where they turned them into a charm bracelet and i thought I might try punching a hole in one with my Big Bite and string it up on a necklace for my little girl.
    4. Did you know there is a website that lists pressed penny machines all over the country? I keep

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is super neat, I love it! Great blog, am a new follower!

    http://marleeindebt.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a super cute idea! They turned out really nice. Makes me wish I had a pressed penny collection too!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. love your collection I would just display in a glass frame on a wall

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful idea to display you collection. Now every time you'll go past it, a lot of memories will be refreshed :)The broad frame has enhanced the overall look!

    I am hosting my first link-up party - Tea Time Thursdays @ Kreative Korner. Would be glad to see some of your awesome posts there. See ya at the party.

    http://tanyaanurag.blogspot.com/2011/08/celebrating-one-party-time.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. I heart flattened pennies. Love this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those are so neat!!! Great how you have displayed them too~Thanks for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday this week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such an awesome idea.. we have tons of these all over the house from just about everywhere! Thanks so much for the inspiration and for sharing with the Pink Hippo Party.. can't wait to see what you share next!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never seen flattened pennies displayed like this before, they look great. I have kept some old pennies and used them as paper weights. A good way to display them on the desk.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Go to pennycollector.com for lists of machines in every state I have over 5, 000 elongated coins (thats what these r called)

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great idea! I love the frames you used too! Where did you get them??

    ReplyDelete
  21. learn this here now view it now check out the post right here this contact form look at here find more info

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations on your article, it was very helpful and successful. 9add18138b65a5292d05ecc4721db1f7
    website kurma
    numara onay
    website kurma

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for your explanation, very good content. c2df1baf621818e8c78f8014712a3c99
    altın dedektörü

    ReplyDelete